Monlam Information Page
The 2012 California Kagyu Monlam is accessible to the public at the rear of the Shrine room located at the County Fair Building in the Golden Gate Park. There will be seating available on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is required for those who wishing to more closely engage in the Monlam practice along with the Eminent Rinpoches, Lamas, Monastics and practitioners. For registration, visit the Website registration page and you will receive full instructions via EMail for completing the registration process. The itinerary of the Monlam can be found here. During teachings, Chinese translation will available - you will need to bring a portable FM radio with headphones in order to receive the translation.
The registration process starts by filling out the online registration form at this web address:
For people that do not have web access and would like to register, they may call (510) 239-3341 and leave a message, and someone will send them a registration form that they can mail in, as well as the information on this page.
For Three Year Retreat graduates and Monastics, there is no charge for participation, which includes the Monlam prayer books, tea service, vegetarian breakfast and lunch. However, you will be required to provide proof of your status as a Three Year Retreat graduate or a vow-holder. For Three Year Retreat graduates, you will need to provide some proof of your completion of a formal Three Year Retreat. This will include the name of the Retreat Master, where the retreat was conducted, when it was conducted and the date of completion of their Three Year Retreat. For vowholders, you will need to provide the proof of your ordination, including the stamp or mark of the Lama or Khenpo who administered the vows. These documents can be scanned and EMailed to the Registration Crew. These documents should be received no later than one week prior to the Monlam to allow time for processing.
For all other Monlam participants, the fee is $25 per day. If you register for one or two days, you will have the use of a Monlam prayer book but you must surrender your Driver's License or State ID as a deposit for its safe return at the end of each day. If you register for the full three days, you will receive one Monlam prayer book to keep. Children under 16 years of age are free, but must be registered on the website - access to the General Practitioner area is limited to those with badges. They will need to be accompanied by a registered adult at all times. Registration should be completed a week before the event so that we may process the money and generate your badge. There are two ways to pay for registration: use the Secure PayPal Payment button on the Kagyu Monlam website at:
Or, send in a check to the following address: Kagyu Monlam Treasurer, 1202 Sunrise Ridge Drive, Lafayette, CA 94549. You must write 'Registration' and the names you are registering for on the Memo line of your check. Be careful of fraud EMail schemes that may want you to pay for the Monlam in any way other than described here.
TIME AND LOCATION:
The event will be held at the Golden Gate Park County Fair Building, also known as the 'Hall of Flowers', located near the corner of Lincoln Way and 9th Ave, 1199 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA. Breakfast starts at 7 AM on Friday, June 29th, 2012, and the Monlam will continue until 8 PM that evening. The same schedule is kept on Saturday, June 30th and Sunday, July 1st.
- General Vehicle parking in Golden Gate Park is limited to 4 hours on Friday and Saturday 6 AM to 10 PM. Parking is free on Sunday.
- There is no vehicle parking allowed from 10 PM to 6 AM.
- The North Side of Lincoln Way is a a Tow-Away Zone after 4 PM on Friday.
- The County Fair Building Staff Parking Lot is for loading and un-loading only. No Event Parking.
- Vehicles not displaying a County Fair Building Permit OR San Francisco Botanical Gardens Permit OR Vehicle displayed written permission from the County Fair Building Facilities Coordinator may result in citations issued by Park Rangers.
- The nearest parking facility is located at 75 Hagiwara Teagarden Drive from 7 AM to 10 PM (7 PM on Fridays)
There are several San Francisco Muni bus stops close to the event: 16X, 44, 71, and 71L. The Muni N trolley line is also close by.
There are a number of bed and breakfasts and hotels within walking distance of Golden Gate Park, as well as many that are close to the Muni lines. It is recommended you use Google to find accommodations, but please be aware that there are some neighborhoods east of the 101 Freeway that are unsafe at night. You are welcome to EMail the Registration desk for recommendations on hotels.
In order to maintain the ceremonial atmosphere of the 2012 Kagyu Monlam, the Monlam Association expects and requires that you abide by the following rules.
- NO CELL PHONES, Cameras, or video recorders, active or deactivated, are allowed within the shrine room
- NO PETS are allowed. Professional seeing-eye or guide dogs are exempted.
- NO PHOTOGRAPHY or videography is allowed at any time.
- NO LOUD TALKING is allowed within the shrine room. Please keep all communications at a low level within the Shrine room.
- NO CANDLES OR RICE is allowed, by order of the San Francisco Park and Recreation Dept.
- NO SMOKING is allowed anywhere, indoors or outdoors, within Golden Gate Park. Violators could be subjected to a fine by the Park Rangers.
You agree that by registering for the 2012 Kagyu Monlam, you can be asked to leave the event at any time according to the discretion of the Kagyu Monlam Association staff, with or without refund. All of the above rules are easily and naturally followed just in the practice of mindfulness and consideration to others, but if there is disagreement in proper conduct, the Kagyu Monlam Association staff have final say and authority to enforce the rules.